We spent 28 hours on research, videography, and editing, to review the top options for this wiki. Two of the most powerful reasons to turn your home into a smart one are safety and security when you’re away from it. But it’s not just burglars and fires you have to worry about; far too many houses have been damaged by slow leaks from plumbing or appliance malfunctions. One of these water detectors will offer you the peace of mind that your abode is as dry as when you left it. When users buy our independently chosen editorial picks, we may earn commissions to support our work.
10. D-Link DCH-S160
The D-Link DCH-S160 is part of a line of WiFi-connected home monitoring devices that keep your property safe in a number of ways. It uses a moisture-sensing wire to detect leaks, but it’s somewhat limited in that it must always be plugged into an A/C power outlet.
- Programmed using ifttt protocol
- Includes 1-meter cable extension
- Somewhat inconsistent compatibility
|3.9 / 5.0|
9. Proteus WiFi
The Proteus WiFi is a highly reliable choice that uses an A/C outlet and talks directly to your home’s or business’s wireless router. Just plug it into the wall and run the extra-long 5-foot sensor cable to the area you’d like to monitor.
- Sends alarms via e-mail
- Protrudes about 3 in from the wall
- One of the more expensive choices
|3.8 / 5.0|
8. Honeywell Lyric
If simple leak detection is your main goal, take a look at the Honeywell Lyric, a specialized option from a home security giant. It often doesn’t play nice with a lot of other gadgets, but it also doesn’t require a third-party hub, greatly simplifying installation.
- Tracks moisture via external cable
- Detects temperature and humidity
- Not ideal for complex smart homes
|4.1 / 5.0|
7. Fibaro Flood Sensor
The Fibaro Flood Sensor is the latest and greatest Z-Wave-compatible model, and it’s updated frequently to work alongside newer smart home brands, like HomeSeer. There’s an external probe available for separate purchase to keep watch on larger areas, as well.
- Alerts via text or push notification
- Extra-loud onboard alarm
- Pairing with the hub can be tricky
|4.6 / 5.0|
6. Dome Home Automation
Get affordable protection from water damage when using the Dome Home Automation alongside one of many compatible smart-home systems. It’s one of the slimmest options on the market, so it fits easily in the tiniest crevices that might be susceptible to moisture.
- Top-of-the-line 3-year battery life
- Also uses a 4ft remote sensor wire
- Works only with z-wave controllers
|Dome Home Automation|
|3.9 / 5.0|
5. Samsung SmartThings
The Samsung SmartThings works with one of the most popular smart home systems, and most users find it very easy to set up. Simply place it near your water heater, washing machine, or other potential problem area, and receive alarms on your smartphone.
- Matching security sensor available
- Voice-controlled using alexa
- Brand-specific hub required
|4.1 / 5.0|
4. Iris Indoor
Originally for use only with Lowe’s proprietary hub, the Iris Indoor now supports a variety of systems, including the up-and-coming Wink and ZigBee families. It fits easily underneath sinks, toilets, or sump pumps to keep you assured of a dry and structurally sound home.
- Auto water valves also available
- Battery lasts a couple of years
- One of the more sensitive units
|Iris Smart Home Managem|
|4.8 / 5.0|
3. Aeotec Flood and Leak
Compatible with a wide range of the newest smart families, the Aeotec Flood and Leak can detect the presence of just fractions of a millimeter of water. It can even be submerged in any water tank to alert you if the container becomes empty.
- Certified for use with z-wave hubs
- Aaa batteries last about a year
- Very affordable
|4.9 / 5.0|
2. Zircon Leak Alert
The Zircon Leak Alert is a standalone, battery-powered model that communicates via the cloud rather than a dedicated hub. In case it doesn’t have WiFi access to send you an e-mail, it features a super-loud 105-dB alarm that’s heard easily through walls and floors.
- Includes 3v li-ion battery
- Extra-portable and easy to use
- The simplest and most reliable model
|4.5 / 5.0|
1. LeakSmart Intelligent
The LeakSmart Intelligent is a versatile, all-in-one way to prevent property damage when you’re not at home. While most models simply alert you to any issues, this one communicates directly with its automatic valve, saving the day when no-one is around.
- Cover offered for outdoor installs
- 3 diameters of valves available
- 5-second shutoff prevents disaster
|4.7 / 5.0|